St John the Baptist Church would value your support
Parish Giving Scheme
The Vicar of Shedfield, the Revd Jane Isaac, introduces a new way of supporting your parish church financially.
After almost five years in the parish, I’m very aware of how significant a part planned giving plays in the maintenance of our church building and churchyard and ministry and mission in the parish. I can’t thank you enough for your generous and committed financial support, often sustained over many years.
During lockdown, the Parochial Church Council and I were hugely grateful for your continuing financial contributions in what was a difficult time for all of us. We also realised that the time has come to provide a variety of ways in which St John the Baptist Church can be supported financially. That’s why we are introducing a new option to the existing ways of planned giving: the Parish Giving Scheme.
How does the Parish Giving Scheme work? The Parish Giving Scheme has been set up by the Church of England nationally to help parishes manage regular donations effectively and efficiently. The whole of a donation comes to the donor’s parish, so please do be reassured that the gift you make to St John the Baptist Church cannot be used elsewhere.
Participation in the Scheme means that St John the Baptist, Shedfield, can be assured of a regular, tax-efficient source of income which is secure, confidential and easy to use. Other advantages of the PGS include:
- Reducing the admin burden for our Treasurer
- Improving cashflow because Gift Aid is calculated monthly
- Donations can be made on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
How do I change to the Parish Giving Scheme?
Changing to the Parish Giving Scheme is a very simple process. You can find out just how straightforward it is by going to the PGS website at https://www.parishgiving.org.uk/home/
Our Treasurer, Adrian Jordan, will be delighted to answer any questions you might have and to help with form-filling if you’d like them to.
It goes without saying that there’s no obligation to change the way in which you give to St John the Baptist Church, whether that’s through money on the plate, banker’s order or blue envelope, but do please consider changing to this new option, the Parish Giving Scheme. Whilst changing to the PGS is a voluntary decision, it’s one that will have a huge impact on the life and future of our church.
It takes a considerable amount of money to run and maintain our beautiful church.
Contrary to what many people might believe, we do not receive any financial support from The Church of England.
Quite the reverse, in fact, as around £54,000 has to be found to keep the church in a good state of repair and pay the utilities and day to day running costs.
Throughout the year, those who worship at St John the Baptist, and those who already support us, work to raise money by organising a wide range of events suct as concerts, quiz nights and the ever popular annual fete.
As you know all of the activities mentioned above came to a grinding halt on 23rd March when the COVID-19 crisis struck. We have reduced the expenditure as much as possible but the church is still in need of your help.
If you can help your church there are a number of options:
- Direct Debit – via the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS). If you are a taxpayer, your gift will be topped up by 25%. You can contact PGS directly by telephone on 0333 002 1271. Lines are open Monday-Friday between 9.00am and 5.00pm. You will need your bank details ready as well as this reference information: Church name: St John the Baptist Church, Parish Giving Scheme parish code: 290629038
- By cheque payable to Shedfield PCC
- Donate using the Give a Little button or by scanning the QR reader code below with your phone. This is a church endorsed scheme that is administered via the Parish Buying Scheme.
For one-off donations
- A one-off donation large or small will help pay towards our utility bills.
- A regular monthly donation of £10 or £20 would help enormously.
- With a bequest in favour of the church by remembering us in your will.