Bishop’s Waltham Deanery Newsletter ~
|We have progressed well with our Deanery Plan over recent months and it now moves into wider communications across the Parishes of our Deanery. We have had several Deanery services and events since Christmas and more are planned (see below); we hope you can join together with others in the Deanery, for prayer and to share experiences and fellowship.
Rev Gregg Mensingh
|Deanery Plan ~ Update|
|Ø The Deanery Plan is now in its second draft having been discussed with clergy, at Synod and with the Mission and Pastoral Committee.
Ø An appendix is being prepared to explain the background and to provide “case studies” of mission-focussed action in our Deanery and Diocese.
Ø The Deanery Plan is a framework for parishes to develop their own plans and programmes to put mission at the top of the agenda .
Ø The Plan is now being communicated more widely to PCCs and other groups within individual parishes.
Ø An important event for mission will be the LyCiG (Leading your Church into Growth) Taster Event being run by the Diocese in October (more details to follow)
Ø The Diocese has also launched “Live, Serve, Pray” which is a more top-down mission focussed initiative.
Ø If you have any queries or comments on the Deanery Plan please raise them with your incumbent, PCC, or pass comments to the Deanery Administrator
Deanery Day Out Saturday 11 June 2016
11am start with
- Prayers at St Mary and All Saints Church, Droxford
- Walk along St Wilfrid’s Trail from Droxford to Meonstoke (~40 mins)
- Picnic and spend time together on St Andrew’s Church Green, Meonstoke (if not walking, just come for the picnic!)
- Prayerful reflections from 1.30 to 2.30pm – at the Saxon Church at Corhampton, come for as long as you want
- Return to Droxford at 2.30pm – retrace your steps along St Wilfrid’s Trail or follow the Meon Valley Trail along the Old Railway .
|Dates for Deanery Meetings|
|Mission & Pastoral Committee
Tuesday 29 June 2016
(11 May meeting cancelled)
Monday 6 June 2016
Tuesday 12 July 2016
Update from Ghana
Rev Canon Stuart Holt (now at Fawley) recently visited Ghana and on our behalf looked into what is needed for our link with Waiswo. He reported back at the April Deanery Synod and described the enthusiastic worship, the celebratory style and joyful culture of the Christian congregation there. He defined a number of funding needs and these are being looked at by a small team from Deanery Synod.
Lent and Easter Deanery Services
- Palm Sunday Come and Sing at Bishop’s Waltham
- Easter Taize Service
- Deanery Ascension Day Eucharist at Soberton, with the Right Rev Dom Timothy Bavin preaching
Many thanks to all in the Parishes who contributes to these and other Easter services.
Around our Deanery
- Welcome to Rev Simon Brocklehurst, who is to be installed as the Rector at Southwick and Boarhunt shortly. Simon was formerly at St Andrew’s, Ham in the Kingston Deanery of the Southwark Diocese; we look forward to working with him in our Deanery .
- Wickham and Shedfield continue to seek a new Rector.
- The Benefice of Soberton and Newtown is now has a vacancy and is starting work to seek a new incumbent.
Please pray for these Parishes.
Reminder: Electoral roll numbers needed by June 1, 2016
The number of people on the electoral roll of each parish on the date of the annual meeting need to be submitted to the diocesan secretary via Jane Dobbs (email@example.com or 02392 899661) by June 1, 2016. A copy of the notification should also be displayed at or near the main entrance to the church for at least 14 days following submission.
What’s on around the Deanery?
- Saturday 11 June – Deanery Day Out – see above
- Sunday 12 June – various Street Parties and other celebrations for the Queen’s Birthday
- Saturday 18 June – Christopher Wood Workshop Day, at Botley, contact Stephen Campion at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday 10 September – Organists’ workshop with Rosemary Fields at All Saints’ Church, Botley 00 – 16.30. Cost £10 and booking needed as places are limited.
- Tuesday 18 October – “Women in Ministry: exploring the possibilities” a course, 10.00-16.00at Portsmouth cathedral see website for details. Booking needed .
- October – LyCiG Taster, actual date to be finalised but available for each incumbent and 2 members of each Parish – more details to follow
Next Newsletter – September 2016…….Any items for inclusion or comments to
Jane Beardmore, Deanery Administrator on BWDeanery@gmail.com